BHMS is an abbreviation for Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery. It is a degree course offered by various Homeopathic medical colleges in India. The full form of BHMS is Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery.
What is BHMS?
The Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery (BHMS) course is a professional degree course offered by various homeopathic medical colleges in India. The course duration is four and a half years, including one year of internship. The internship can be done in any registered homeopathic hospital or dispensary.
The BHMS course syllabus includes subjects such as Anatomy, Physiology, Pathology, Pharmacology, Organon of Medicine, Homeopathic Materia Medica, and Repertory. In addition to these subjects, students also have to study clinical subjects such as Surgery, Gynecology, and Pediatrics.
What are the benefits of pursuing a BHMS degree?
Homeopathy is a system of medicine that is based on the principle of ‘like cures like’. That is, a substance that can cause certain symptoms in a healthy person can be used to treat those same symptoms in a sick person. Homeopathic medicines are made from natural substances, such as plants and minerals. They are safe to use and have few side effects.
Pursuing a BHMS degree allows you to learn about this unique system of medicine and how to apply it to help people heal. Homeopathy is effective for treating a wide range of conditions, both acute and chronic. It can be used to treat everything from the common cold to more serious diseases like cancer.
A BHMS degree also provides you with the skills and knowledge necessary to start your homeopathic practice. This can be a very rewarding career, as you get to help people heal naturally.
How can I become a BHMS doctor?
To become a BHMS doctor, you must first complete an undergraduate degree in homeopathic medicine and surgery. There are various homeopathic medical colleges in India that offer this degree course. Once you have completed your undergraduate degree, you will be eligible to sit for the BHMS entrance examination.
This examination is conducted by the Central Council of Homeopathy (CCRH). Upon passing this examination, you will be awarded the BHMS degree and will be registered with the CCRH as a homeopathic medical practitioner.
The Duration of the Course
The duration of the BHMS course is four and a half years. The first year is divided into two semesters, the first semester being devoted to the study of homeopathic principles and the second semester to clinical training. The second year is again divided into two semesters, with the first semester devoted to pathology and the second semester to materia medica. The third and fourth years are devoted to clinical training.
Eligibility Criteria for the Course
To be eligible for the BHMS course, candidates must have completed 10+2 or equivalent examinations with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as subjects from a recognized Board or University.
Candidates must have secured a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate in the qualifying examination. Admission to the course is done based on marks obtained in the qualifying examination as well as performance in entrance examinations.
Read also: What No One Tells You About MBBS Full Form
Career Prospects after Completing the Course
After completing a BHMS course, there are various career options available to students. They can either work in a homeopathic clinic or hospital or set up their practice. Some other options include working as a research associate in a homeopathic institute or company or teaching in a homeopathic medical college.
There is also scope for starting one’s own homeopathic medicine manufacturing business. With the increasing popularity of homeopathy, the job prospects for qualified BHMS graduates are very good. These are good places to work as a BHMS such as Homeopathic hospitals, Community health centers, Private clinics, Research organizations, etc.
Top Universities to Study BHMS
Many universities offer BHMS courses in India. Some of the top universities to study BHMS are as follows:
- National Institute of Homeopathy, Kolkata
- Madras Homeopathic Medical College, Chennai
- Government Homeopathic Medical College, Bangalore
- Delhi Institute of Homeopathic Sciences, Delhi
- Mumbai Homoeopathic Medical College, Mumbai
Notable Personalities in Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery
There are many notable personalities in the field of BHMS. Some of them are Dr. Rajan Sankaran, Dr. Isaac Golden, Dr. Paul Herscu, and Dr. Jayesh Shah.
Dr. Rajan Sankaran is one of the most well-known homeopaths in the world. He is the author of many books on homeopathy, including The Soul of Remedies and The Sensation Method.
Dr. Isaac Golden is a leading expert on homeopathic education and research. He is the founder of the Australasian College of Classical Homeopathy, and the author of Homeopathy: A Systematic Approach.
Dr. Paul Herscu is a renowned homeopath and teacher. He is the author of The Homeopathic Treatment of Children and The New England School of Homeopathy Textbook.
Dr. Jayesh Shah is a leading homeopath in India. He is the founder of the Homeopathic Medical Association of India and has authored many books on homeopathy, including Principles and Practice of Homeopathy.
Other Interesting Contents
- LizzyM Score Calculator: Predict your Medical School Admission
- List of Top BMAT Universities for Medical Students
- BSC Nursing Course, Subjects & Admission
Frequently Asked Questions
- What does BHMS stand for?
- BHMS stands for Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery. It is a degree course offered by various Homeopathic medical colleges in India.
- What is the full form of BHMS?
- The full form of BHMS is Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery. This degree course covers both the medical and surgical aspects of Homeopathic medicine.
- What is the duration of the BHMS course?
- The duration of the BHMS course is four and a half years, including one year of internship. During the internship, students get to experience first-hand what it is like to work as a homeopathic doctor.
- What are the subjects covered in the BHMS course?
- The subjects covered in the BHMS course include anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, pathophysiology, materia medica, repertory, and clinical subjects. Students also get to study subjects like psychology and sociology, which helps them understand their patients better.