The Computer full form is a Commonly Operated Machine Particularly Used for Training Education and Research. The truth is a computer is not an acronym, it is a word derived from the word ‘compute’ and it implies calculate. Therefore, it is an electronic device used for making several calculations. Before the computer came into the limelight, there was slide rule and abacus. Charles Babbage is one of the founding fathers of computers and he produced the first mechanical computer called “Analytical Engine”.
Definition of Computer
A computer is an electronic machine that can process raw data or information to yield results. Also, it can retrieve, process, and store data. Computers can execute different applications and offer a variety of solutions using integrated software and hardware components. Programs are necessary for computers to function properly.
Computer refers to the Central Processing Unit and internal memory. Presently, we have numerous computer manufacturers like Dell, Toshiba, Apple, Lenovo, etc. It is possible to create a custom personal computer if you could get the different parts. In the aspect of Apple, you will need to get only Apple designs for it to function.
How do Computer Function?
In computers, there are two major components software and hardware. The computer hardware comprises peripheral devices and processing hardware.
- Hardware: It is the physical parts of the counter we see, feel and touch like monitor, CPU, keyboard, Floppy disk drive, Hard disk drive, Portable Document Format, Solid State Drive, Visual Display Unit, Light Emitting Mode, Multi-Media Club, Liquid Emitting Diode, Programmable Read-Only Memory, Uninterrupted Power Supply, Video Graphics Array, etc.
- Software: It is a set of instructions or programs that allows the computer to function. Also, they are raw data responsible for the computer yield desired output. We will see software into two different categories – system and application software.
It is a computer program designed to run both computer hardware and application programs. The system software is the interface between the user applications and the hardware. Some of these systems software are Windows, Mac OS, Chrome OS, Ubuntu, Android, iOS, Playstation System Software, Xbox System Software, Device Drivers, Firmware, Utility Programs,
It is a program that helps humans carry out different activities. The application software can perform text, audio, numbers, graphics, and many others. Here, users directly with the software itself compared to system software. Some of these application software are Microsoft Word, Google Chrome, Firefox, Skype, Windows Media Player, VLC Media Player, Microsoft, Adobe Photoshop, iTunes, Facebook, Netflix, etc.
Categorizing computers using technology is divided into 3 categories:
These are computers we see every day like Apple Macintosh and IBM PC. They can perform numerous computational tasks based on a set of instructions. The computer uses binary systems 0 & 1. These digits are bits used for representing information.
Analog Computer controls and processes analog data. Also, they store data in physical quantities executing calculations using measures. Symbolic numbers are used to represent the result of the calculation.
It is a combination of both analog and digital computers. The analog handles complex mathematical operations, while the digital part handles numerous logical operations.
We have five generations of computers:
First Generation (1940 – 1956):
The first generation of computers came out between 1940 to 1956. Vacuum tubes were used in the production of these computers. They function on binary codes and punched cards were used for their input.
Second Generation (1956 – 1963):
It was the second set of computers that came into existence between 1956 to 1963. The major medium of technology for this computer was transistor technology. These computers took much time in performing calculations compared to the first generation computers.
Third Generation (1963 – 1971):
The third generation of computers was introduced between 1963 to 1971. The computer was built through integrated circuits. They consumed less power and generated less amount of heat. Many people bought them because they were easy to maintain.
Fourth Generation (1972 – 2010):
The era between 1972 to 2010 was considered the fourth generation of computers. During this period, Microprocessors were used in the production of these computers. Also, many computers were available for people to use.
Fifth Generation (2010-Present):
In 2010, the fifth generation of computers was introduced till now. The present computer we have are very fast compared to previous computer generations. The good thing about these computers, they can process multiple sets of instructions simultaneously. They have some technologies such as Cyber Security, Data Science, Cloud Computing, Nanotechnology, Parallel Processing, etc.
Some Computer Courses
We have different computer courses for you to enroll in depending on your choice of interest and here they are:
- Advance Diploma in Computer Application (ADCA)
- Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA)
- Computer Operator cum Programming Assistant (COPA)
- Computer Science Engineering (CSE)
- Diploma in Computer Application (DCA)
- Diploma in Computer Engineering (DCE)
- Information Technology (IT)
- Master of Computer Application (MCA)
Full Forms of Computer
You should note computer is not an acronym, but many people have a full form for it to demonstrate their inner creativity. These are some of them:
- Common Operating Machine Particularly Used for Technical, Education, and Research
- Capable Of Making Perfectly Uncomplicated Tasks Extremely Rigorous
- Computing Oriented Manipulation Programming Used in Technology Education and Research
- Common Operating Machine Purposely Used for Technological and Educational Research
- Complicated Office Machine Put Under Tremendous Effort to Reduce manpower
- Common Operating Machine Particularly Used for Training, Education, and Reporting
- Common Operations Made Possible Under Technical Engineering Researches
- Commonly Operated Machine Particularly Used in Technical Education and Research
- Commonly Oriented Machine Particularly Used for Trade Education and Research
- Common Oriented Machine Particularly Used for Trade Education and Research
- Common Operating Machine Particularly Used For Technical And Research
- Common Oriented Machine Purely Used for Technical and Educational Research
- Commonly Operating Machine Particularly Used for Technical and Education Research
- Common Operating Machine Particularly Used For Trade Education And Research
- Common Operating Machine Particularly Used for Trade, Education, and Research
Other Interesting Contents
- 5 Best Universities with Masters of Data Science in Canada
- 5 Best Universities with Masters of Data Science in Australia
- Low GPA Colleges: 100+ List of Colleges that Accept Low GPA
Computers are one of the greatest electronic devices that have made life easier for humans because of their numerous functions. When you want to buy anyone, it is better to check the system specification to know whether it will be compatible with the task you want to use it for.