One of the ways to migrate to Finland for study purpose as an international student is to apply for Finland student visa. The Finnish study permit is a document that is issue to foreign nationals to study at designated earning intuition.
Finland has one of the best universities on top-100 global rankings. However, many international students do come to study in Finland for undergraduate programs or even graduate programs like Master’s degree.
Before applying for a Finland student visa, you have to make sure that you meet-up the requirements of the institution you’re applying for, get accepted and then print the admission letter as that’s one of the document you’ll make use of while applying for the Finland student visa.
Types of Finland student visa
There are basically two main categories of Finnish student permit which includes;
- Temporary or short term Finland study permit
- Permanent or long term Finland student permit.
The Temporary or short term Finland student visa is a document that is issued to foreign nationals who wish to study in Finland for short term purpose and stay for maximum of 90 days (3 months). Example of students includes those who wish to learn short term vocational training or take a short term language courses or related short term programs in Finland.
The permanent or long term Finland student permit is a document that is issued to foreign nationals who wish to study in Finland for a long term purpose and stay for more than 90 days (3 months). This includes students that want to go for a degree course both undergraduate programs and graduate programs. However, the long term Finland student permit is accompanied with a residence permit, so you’re also advised to fill application for a residence permit while obtaining the long term student permit.
How to Apply for Finland Student Visa
- Firstly, go to your embassy or representative of your country and get the residence permit form, then fill the application form. Alternatively, you can apply online.
- After that, provide the certificate or letter that proofs that you’ve been accepted into a Finnish higher education institution.
- Provide every other required documents as listed below
- Complete your biometric
- Collect your Finland student residence permit.
The processing fee for your application is 330 EUR for application on paper and 300 EUR for electronic application.
Document requirements & Eligibilities
- Admission letter from university
- A valid passport
- Passport styled photograph to be used while filling your application form
- Copy of signed application form
- Proof of financial stability, as known, a student cost of living in Finland is estimated to 560 EUR per month on disposal.
- Clarification of tuition fee or scholarship if applicable
- International student health insurance
- Evidence of clean criminal record
Finland Student Visa Processing time
It can take up to 90 days (3months) to process your application. So you can always monitor your application status from your embassy or their e-service.
Read also: Step by Step guide to Obtain Canadian Student Permit
If you’ve any further question regarding to Finland student visa, application process for such visa or any other related question, please let me know via comment section. Don’t forget to share this guide with your friends; any of them might be in need of this guide.