GNM nursing is an abbreviation for General Nursing Midwifery that requires 3 years and 6 months with a mandatory internship for 6 months. The course offers you the right skills to take care of patients and offer clinical treatments. Before you can complete this course it is mandatory to complete Class 12 from the Science Stream. If you are a biology student, then you have more preference to gain admission to study General Nursing Midwifery.
The admission process for the course requires you have good grades in entrance exams like WB GNM, Maharashtra GNM, Kerala GNM, etc. The entrance examination for GNM comprises 4 sections – Nursing Foundation, Behavioral Science, Community Health Nursing, and Bio-science. The GNM course syllabus is prepared in a way for students to learn the different techniques to handle patients. The average fee for GNM courses is between INR 40,000 to INR 100,000
What is the Meaning of GNM Nursing?
General Nursing and Midwifery is a diploma-level course for students wanting to pursue a course in clinical nursing. The GNM nursing involves 3 years of education and 6 months of internship. You can do internships in different medical-related companies like hospitals, nursing homes, maternity centers, private medical firms, etc. GNM nursing admission requires an entrance examination for the admission process. For instance, many Indian states conduct entrance exams for their applicants.
Read also: What No One Tells You About MBBS Full Form
Eligibilities for GNM Nursing
- You must finish your class 12th in any GNM Nursing stream through the science stream but biology students are given preference.
- You should have a minimum of 50% marks in your Class 12th examination, but we have some medical colleges that will accept 60% marks.
- You must have gotten the minimum number of scores required in the GNM Nursing Entrance Exam Result.
Admission Process for GNM Nursing
The admission officer uses the result score of different state-level entrance examinations. In 2020/2021, coronavirus affected the admission process because there was a lockdown. It is advised to finish Class 12th to stand a chance of writing the GNM nursing examination.
On the other hand, if you are in Class 12th you won’t be eligible to apply for GNM admission. It is important to fill out the application form and pay your admission fees. If your score meets the college criteria, they will offer you direct admission.
Why Studying GNM Nursing?
GNM nursing is an essential career in the healthcare sector. It offers you basic training to assist patients’ needs using clinical methods. It involves giving providing care to patients and helping doctors to make their work easier.
The good thing is their curriculum is designed to help Indian students to have full experience to become nursing professionals. The course involves both theoretical and ground training for students to acquire relevant nursing skills.
Who are the People to Pursue GNM Nursing?
The following students or people can study GNM Nursing:
- Students ready to have a career in either nursing or medical courses
- If you want noble intentions to earn a decent salary, you can study the course.
- Individuals eyeing a niche in medical-related courses
- Students who are keen to serve humanities in society.
Types of GNM Nursing
We have three types of GNM Nursing:
Basic GNM Nursing:
It is the most pronounced type of GNM Nursing and it is a bachelor’s degree program training students to obtain nursing skills to offer comprehensive care to their patients suffering different kinds of diseases or illnesses.
The course centers to build general nurses wanting to perform well in health in different organizations. The course lasts for good three years, but you will need to have 10+2 exams with a minimum score of 40% aggregate marks. The right age for the course is between 17 to 35 years.
Post Basic GNM:
Students offering post-basic GNM Nursing have opportunities to acquire advanced knowledge. You can get adequate knowledge from regular clinical teachings. Students can get access to nursing educational clinics, public health centers, institutions, etc. The duration of the course lasts for good 3 years, while the regular one is for 2 years.
Since General Nursing and Midwifery technical professions, it has limited scope for students offering distance learning. Students should crosscheck colleges offering GNM Nursing, especially through distance learning.
Who are the Top Recruiters for GNM Nursing?
Besides gaining employment to work in healthcare centers or organizations, there are many recruiters employing students with GNM Nursing like:
- Indian Nursing Council and various State Nursing Councils
- Apollo Hospitals Enterprise
- Max Hospital
- Global Hospitals
- Medanta Medicity
- Fortis Healthcare
- Columbia Asia Hospital
- Manipal Hospital
- The Indian Red Cross Society
- Wockhardt Hospitals
Other Interesting Contents
- LizzyM Score Calculator: Predict your Medical School Admission
- Apply for High Paying Nursing Jobs in Canada for Foreigners
- Samples of Scholarship Interview Questions and Answers
Frequently Asked Questions
- What do you feel is the right option for anyone who has completed GNM Nursing?
- When you are through with GNM Nursing, you can get a job in the nursing field. If you feel you are not cool with it, you can enroll to get higher degrees like BSc Nursing, MSc Nursing, and (Post Basic) BSc Nursing, etc. Also, you can study MBBS courses.
- Is there any difference between BSc Nursing and GNM Nursing?
- The nursing course centers on offering clinical training to students and guiding them to offer first aid assistance to patients. You can get other roles like coordinating wards, assisting doctors, and briefing patients.