Whether you are researching for a blog post or just doing some pre-writing, it is always helpful to come up with topics that will help you connect with your audience. In this article, you will find a wide range of topics such as how the school got its name, what the difference between public education and private education is, and why high schools need to have student councils.
History of High Schools in Durban
High schools in Durban have a rich history dating back to the late 1800s. Early schools were operated by churches and were known as “colleges”. These colleges provided basic education and training for youth, who were expected to attend university after completing their secondary school education.
From 1894 to 1906, the city operated an English High School (now Gordon Institute of Science and Technology). In 1906, the first Durban High School was opened on Victoria Avenue by the Presbyterian Church. This school provided a good basic education for white children only. The first black high school in Durban, King Edward VII Memorial High School, opened in 1935.
In the 1940s, apartheid started to take hold and separate educational facilities became available for whites and blacks. In 1944, the government separated white and colored schools, with the latter being known as “Bantu Education Centres”.
Benefits of attending High Schools in Durban
There are many benefits of attending high schools in Durban. Some of the benefits include:
Excellent Education: High schools in Durban offer excellent education due to their talented and experienced staff.
Access to Top-tier Facilities: They have access to top-tier facilities, which provide students with an excellent learning environment.
Variety of Courses: The high schools in Durban offer a variety of courses, which allows students to find the course that best suits their interests and needs.
Great Social Environment: The good thing about high schools in Durban, they have a great social environment, which makes it easy for students to make friends and participate in activities.
Proximity to Home: The high schools in Durban are close by, which makes it easy for students to commute to school.
Characteristics of High Schools in Durban
There are many high schools in Durban, each with its unique character. Here are some of the most notable features of these schools:
- Wide range of courses, making them suitable for students of all interests and abilities.
- High schools in Durban have a strong rugby tradition, which is reflected in their sports facilities and extracurricular activities.
- Some high schools in Durban focus on providing a quality education that prepares students for university or the workforce.
- All high schools in Durban offer a comprehensive student service program, including care for the mentally and physically challenged.
How to Become a Student at Durban High School
If you are looking to enroll your child in a high school in Durban, the steps you need to take are as follows:
- Make sure your child meets the required academic eligibility requirements by clicking here.
- Once your child meets the required academic eligibility requirements, find the school that best suits your child’s needs and interests by clicking here.
- You have to find the school that your child should attend, by contacting them directly to request an application form and payment for application fees.
- Complete and submit the application form and payment for application fees to the school.
- Enroll your child in the school of their choice by contacting them directly and providing official transcripts from all previous schools attended.
Challenges faced by students in Durban High Schools
- Low levels of academic achievement.
- Poor infrastructure, including a lack of classrooms, libraries, and laboratories.
- High levels of poverty and unemployment.
- Lack of access to quality education.
- Violence and crime in the schools.
Top High Schools in Durban
Hillcrest High School
This prestigious institution offers a well-rounded and challenging education that prepares students for university or the workplace. Hillcrest’s impressive alumni list includes many successful professionals and entrepreneurs.
Shorewood High School
This award-winning school is home to a large international student population, making it a true melting pot of cultures and ideas. Students here experience an exceptional education that prepares them for success in college or the working world.
St Johns High School
This prestigious school is known for its excellent academics and strong athletic program. Students here enjoy a wide range of extracurricular activities, making it a truly versatile option for students seeking an enriching educational experience.
The Salvation Army College
This institution is known for its excellent academic record, with many of its alumni going on to pursue successful careers. The College offers a broad range of courses, from arts to sciences. It has a strong athletic program, with facilities that include a cricket ground and an Olympic-sized swimming pool.
King Edward VII School
This esteemed school was founded in 1902 and is one of the oldest institutions in the city. It has a rich history and offers a well-rounded education, encompassing both academic and vocational options. Students have access to world-class facilities, including an Olympic-sized swimming pool and a football field that can hold up to 16,000 spectators.
Lindenwood College is one of South Africa’s leading private educational institutions. It has over 6500 students from across the country studying at its campuses in Durban and Johannesburg. The College offers a wide range of courses, from arts to sciences.
Methodist College High School
Methodist College High School is among the most prestigious high schools in Durban and boasts an excellent academic reputation. The school offers a broad range of courses, including sciences and mathematics. It also has a well-respected sports program, which has produced many successful athletes over the years.
Other Interesting Contents
- 20 Best Countries for Immigrants to Try Right Now
- How to Apply & Win Top Scholarships in the USA
- America Visa Lottery: Your Path to a Better Life
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are the different types of high schools in Durban?
A: There are three types of high schools in Durban: private, state, and municipal.
Q: What is the difference between a private and a state school?
A: Private schools are funded by the private sector whereas state schools are funded by the government.
Q: What is the difference between a municipal and a state school?
A: Municipal schools are run by municipalities whereas the government runs state schools.
Q: How do I find out which high school I should go to?
A: You can find out which high school you should go to by searching on Google or online directories such as Top Schools in South Africa.