IAS full form is Indian Administrative Services and is considered the premier civil service you will find in India. The IAS was established in 1858 and it is the permanent bureaucracy in India that forms a part of the executive branch. Members of the IAS are employed in diverse institutions such as state government, international organizations, and the public sector.
What are the Roles of IAS Officers?
The IAS anchors some key positions in the administrative arms of the Indian government. They are the backbone of the Indian government. These are the roles of IAS officers:
- They oversee the law, order, and general administration of the Indian government.
- They manage Public Sector Undertakings
- IAS officers manage the daily affairs of the Government
- IAS officers control public fund management
What are the Basic Tips to Pass IAS Exams?
You can follow these tips to excel in the IAS examination:
Ensure Reading Syllabus:
Preparation is the key to discovering the exam syllabus and you must plan accordingly. You can divide the syllabus fee from easy, medium, to difficult.
Study with Past Questions:
The essence of studying with past questions is to be familiar with their pattern of questions and understand what to cover while reading your lecture notes and preparing for the forthcoming exam.
Group discussion is one of the learning processes to implement because it will help you retain why you have studied or learned. You can discuss IAS topics with your friends to share knowledge.
Studying Mock Papers:
You can develop a good habit of solving mocking papers regularly. If you could answer mock past questions, it will make your mind very sharp for you to think fast.
What are the Benefits of Becoming an IAS Officer?
IAS officers have lots of benefits to enjoy and this makes it a highly competitive career in India. They can make a dynamic difference in the lives of people. Let’s see these benefits for IAS officers:
IAS officers have big houses from the Indian government. The good thing about it is they get these houses free of charge without paying a dime. Also, they can get extra services such as gardeners, security guards, house help, cooking, etc. This will help them to live in their houses without stressing themselves with diverse chores.
The Indian government provides them with vehicles for mobility purposes. They can get more than one vehicle or their escorts or securities to accompany them.
Since it is the highest position in Civil Service, it involves lots of danger. As a result, they can get security officers for protection, and commandos for extra protection.
Anything they want to buy is usually free or highly subsidized such as phone, water, or gas connections.
They can get study leave for like 2 years and apply to study in any foreign universities. During their leave, it is the government that will find their expenses under certain conditions. For instance, IAS officers must sign a bond indicating when they are back they will serve as IAS officers for some number of years.
When IAS officers retire they can have the opportunity to be appointed to commissions because they can function in diverse government departments.
IAS Exam Syllabus
It is vital to know IAS full form syllabus before making any plan to understand the different aspects of the Civil Service Examination. The exam comprises – The prelims, Main, and Interview sections. You will be selected to become IAS Officer by meeting the cut-off mark in various parts.
The first paper of Prelims (General Studies) covers:
- Current Affairs
- History of India
- Social and Economic Development
- General Knowledge of Science
- Climate Change
- Indian National Movement
The Second Paper of Prelims (CSAT) covers:
- Data Interpretation
- Basic Maths
- Decision Making
The Mains Exam covers:
- Current Affairs
- Art and Culture
- Social and Economic Development
- Compulsory Indian Language
- Science and Technology
The interview stage is to test your personality and knowledge. When facing the interviewer you need to comport yourself to calm your nerves.
IAS Officer Salary
The Indian government structures a pay commission to cater to their workers. It is left for the Indian government to finalize whether they choose to reject it. Inflation is another factor that might affect salary. It implies that the country’s economy is a determining factor in the IAS officer’s salary. On June 29, 2018, a 7th pay commission was approved and IAS officer gets 56,000 as the entry-level, 16,500 as the grade pay, and 270,000 for senior IAS officer. Some of these allowances are:
- Travel Allowance
- Transport Allowance
- Medical Allowance
- Dearness Allowance
- House Rent Allowance
Other Interesting Contents
- SP Full Form in Police: Meaning, Application Process & Salaries
- MPSC Full Form, Application Process, and Requirements
- What is the Full Form of ICSE? Benefits & Eligibilities
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the starting salary for an IAS officer?
- In India, the starting salary is INR 56,100. Also, it can fluctuate and can increase after many years of experience.
- What are the benefits of IAS officers?
- These benefits include things such as travel, transport, accommodation, etc. Also, they can afford things at subsidized rates.
- What is the highest salary of an IAS officer?
- IAS officers can get a high salary when they get to the top of any cabinet secretary. Every 4 to 5 years they get a promotion in their jobs.
- What is the special pay advance?
- Special pay advance refers to the money IAS officers get during their training. The amount they get is INR 38,500.