Massachusetts Institute of Technology is a competitive school in the United States with admission statistics for both undergraduate and graduate students. MIT acceptance rates have been declining for more than eight years. If you are considering getting admission to this school, it is important to know the MIT acceptance rate.
MIT Acceptance Rate
Presently, the acceptance rate for MIT is between 4% to 7.2%. For instance, if 100 students apply for admission to this school, it will be only 7 or 8 students will be given admission into the university. On the other hand, the transfer acceptance rate for MIT is not easier compared to the fresher admission rate. It could be easier to get admission into MIT, but transferring into the school is always difficult:
- 2016-2017: 7.9%
- 2017-2018: 7.2%
- 2018-2019: 6.7%
- 2019-2020: 6.7%
- Projected MIT Acceptance Rate 2022: 6.5%
What are the Application Steps for MIT Admission?
The application process for MIT admission:
- Create a MyMIT account to begin the application on the school portal
- Choose your application type either first-year or transfer application depending on your program
- Study the instructions to guide your application
MIT Admission Requirements and Deadlines
The university pays much attention to the skill possessed by its applicants. It is advisable to highlight your skills in your essay to show why you are different from other applicants. It could be your grades, test scores, official documents, or any other extracurricular skills you possess. Some of these admission requirements are:
- Biographical information
- Formal education of 10+2 from a reputable university with a good GPA.
- Decent knowledge in subjects like Mathematics, English, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, etc.
- Language proficiency tests with a minimum score such as Cambridge English (185), Duolingo English (120), IELTS (7), TOEFL (90), and Pearson Test of English (65).
- Letter of Recommendation
- Statement of purpose
- Scores for either GRE or GMAT for Postgraduate courses
- Bachelor’s degree and some level of work experience in Postgraduate courses.
For you to apply for admission at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology it is better to do it during the Spring or Fall season. The deadline for Postgraduate courses depends on your course. International students should make sure they contact the university and send their applications on time.
Transfer Fee for MIT Acceptance Rate
Every course or discipline has its transfer fee and the normal cost for a 4-year course in a private university will shock you. Also, the transfer fee for MIT is not different from the actual fee students pay at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The minor difference is the $75 fee that is added to the transfer tuition fees.
The MIT transfer fee varies for each academic year and the normal tuition fee at the university outside of Boston is $51,520. You can add other expenses like board and rooms and it will amount to $70,240 annually. Transfer fees coming into the university will pay this exact fee with a transfer fee of $75. Therefore, they pay the normal fee and pay the transfer fee too.
Courses offered at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
These are the courses offered at MIT for students wanting to earn a degree in the school:
- Institute for Data, Systems, and Society
- Brain and Cognitive Sciences
- Comparative Media Studies/Writing
- Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences
- Chemistry, etc.
Requirements for Graduate Admission at MIT
The average GPA you should have as an applicant is 4.17. Many schools have their minimum GPA requirements and it is the bare minimum GPA that they assign to their applicants. The only GPA criteria that matter is the one that offers you a golden opportunity to get admission into the school.
If you want to apply for their master’s program, international applicants should check online through their GradApply student portal, but you will make a payment of $75 for the application fee. Students at Sloan School of Management will pay the $250 application fee. These are the vital documents for Graduate admission at MIT:
- Financial documents
- Academic transcripts
- English proficiency scores
- Two to three LORs
- Standardized exams scores
- Essays or SOP, as per course requirement
- Cover letter
- Video statement
Requirements for Undergraduate Admission at MIT
The school has over 53 major and minor courses for students both at the Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels. You can apply through the school portal for your undergraduate course with your application fee of $75. These are the essential documents for the undergraduate admission:
- ACT or SAT scores
- Official high school transcripts
- Letters of recommendation
- A statement of Purpose
- CV or Resume
Other Interesting Contents
- Study and Work in Canada: Everything You Need to Know
- A Complete Guide to Canada Permanent Residency
- List of MBA Scholarships in the USA to Consider
Frequently Asked Questions
- How hard is it to get into MIT?
- As a result of the acceptance rate for MIT, the school takes there time to admit the best applicants that will fit its educational system. It is important to have good recommendation letters, personal essays, test scores, and grades.
- What is the required GPA score for MIT?
- Successful applicants to MIT always get a GPA score of 4.17 or higher. Having As in subjects like Math and Science studies is important too. Also, one year of college-level in physics and mathematics is necessary too.
- What are the requirements for MIT transfer GPA?
- The transfer GPA for the Massachusetts Institute of Technology is 4.0
- Is there any chance for me to get admission to MIT?
- The school admits only 7% of the applicants and due to this, the competition level is high compared to other schools in the U.S.
- What is the SAT score for MIT?
- 50% of MIT applicants have SAT scores between 1510 and 1580. Also, 75% of the school applicants attach their SAT scores when submitting their application forms.