The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) is an organization created by the Nigerian government to help in the development and progress of Nigeria. Every year, the Nigerian National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) release the Call-Up Letter and numbers of successful candidates to be part of the NYSC program.
What is the Nigerian National Youth Service Corps?
The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) is a federal government program that was established to involve Nigerian youths in the development of the country. The NYSC is a one-year mandatory program for all eligible Nigerian graduates of tertiary institutions. During their service year, corps members are posted to different parts of the country where they work in various organizations and contribute their skills and knowledge towards the development of their host communities.
The NYSC program was established in 1973, shortly after the end of the Nigerian Civil War. The war had left the country divided and in need of reconstruction. The NYSC was created as part of the national reconciliation and reconstruction effort. Since then, over 1.5 million Nigerians have participated in the program.
Read also: NYSC Portal PPA Letter: for Batch A, B & C Stream 1 & 2
NYSC has three main objectives:
- To promote national unity and integration.
- To identify and develop leadership potential among Nigerian youths.
- To contribute to community development during the service year and beyond.
Types of National Youth Service Corps Services
There are three types of National Youth Service Corps services:
- Community Development Service:
The service involves working with local communities to identify and address development needs. Projects may include building infrastructure, providing access to basic services, or engaging in environmental conservation initiatives.
- Professional Development Service:
It provides opportunities for Nigerian youths to gain work experience and skills development in their chosen field. Projects may include working with a government ministry or agency, a private company, or a nonprofit organization.
- Social Mobilization Service:
This type of service focuses on raising awareness about social issues and mobilizing people to take action. Projects may include organizing campaigns, conducting research, or producing educational materials.
Read also: NYSC Senate List: for Batch A, B & C Stream 1 & 2
How to Check NYSC Call-Up Letter and Number
The Nigerian National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Call-Up Letter and Number is a document that is issued to every prospective corps member (PCM) after he or she has been registered with the National Youth Service Corps.
The call-up letter contains important information such as the PCM’s name, state of origin, local government area, institution attended, course of study, and NYSC posting. It also has the PCM’s call-up number which is used to check his or her name on the list of prospective corps members deployed to serve in a particular state.
To check your NYSC call-up letter and number, follow these steps:
- Visit the NYSC website at www.nysc.gov.ng
- Click on the “Check Call-Up Letter” link under the “Prospective Corps Members” section on the homepage.
- Enter your registration number in the space provided and click on the “Search” button.
- Your call-up letter will be displayed on the screen for you to print out.
Read also: NYSC Portal Login Dashboard: Batch A, B & C Stream I & II
How to Complete a Nigerian National Youth Service Corps Call-Up Letter
The first step in completing a Nigerian National Youth Service Corps call-up letter is to register on the NYSC website. Once you have registered, you will be given a registration number. This number must be included in your call-up letter.
The next step is to fill out the online application form. Be sure to include your registration number on the form. Once you have submitted the form, you will be given an appointment date and time.
On the day of your appointment, you will need to bring several documents with you, including your passport, birth certificate, and educational certificate. You will also need to bring two passport-sized photographs.
Once all of your documents have been reviewed, you will be given your call-up letter. This letter will include your posting location and date of reporting. Be sure to keep this letter safe as it is required for you to report for service.
How to Find Your National Youth Service Number
- Look for your name on the NYSC website. Once you’ve been selected for the program, your name will be added to the NYSC website. You can search for your name by clicking on the “Search” tab and entering your information.
- Find your number in the “Call-Up Number” column. Once you’ve found your name, look in the “Call-Up Number” column to find your national youth service number. This is the number that you’ll need to enter on your call-up letter.
- Enter your number on your call-up letter. Once you have your national youth service number, you can enter it on your call-up letter. Be sure to include all zeroes and letters when entering your number so that it is entered correctly.
Other Interesting Contents
- Updated List of Work From Home Jobs That Pay Well
- Beginners Guide: Steps to Apply for Jobs in Canada
- List of Funded MBA Scholarships in USA and Canada
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the time duration to obtain my NYSC Call-Up Letter and number?
A: You will acquire NYSC Call-Up Letter and number after NYSC registration, but it will be after a month you have registered. Also, the NYSC call-up letter is usually out a few weeks before you attend the NYSC orientation camp.
Q: Is there any age limit for National Youth Service Corps
A: The age limit for NYSC is 30 years as of when your result is out for service.
Q: Will it be possible for me to change my date of birth when I get my NYSC certificate?
A: No, it is not possible to change your date of birth on the NYSC discharge certificate.
Q: How can I know the state have been posted to?
A: When you have your NYSC Call-Up letter and number, you will see the state you have been posted.
Q: What is the time duration to change my date of birth on the NYSC portal?
A: It could take up to 24 hours to change your date of birth before it will be seen on the National Youth Service Corps online portal dashboard.