Malta is one of the Southern European countries with a small population and is regarded as the best destination site for tourists. If you could spend holidays or vacations in Malta, you can opt to study in this country too. It is located in the Mediterranean sea in the Southern part of Italy, and one of the other three Islands – Malta, Comino, and Gozo.
Every year, tourists from different parts of the world visit Malta to spend some time enjoying different things such as beautiful beaches, vibrant nightlife, picturesque harbor towns, and diverse watersports, and many others. The country has three UNESCO World Heritage Sites – the megalithic temples, the historic capital city Valletta, and the hypogeum.
Facts about Malta
- Capital – Valletta
- Population – over 423,000
- Area – 316 sq km
- Currency – Euro
- Languages – English and Maltese
- In 2004, became part of the European Union & in 2008, the Eurozone
- Tourism is the national income
Read also: How to get Malta Citizenship by Investment
Is there any Reason to Study in Malta?
Here are the following reasons for students to study in Malta:
- Vibrant study environment for both indigenous and international students.
- The dynamic educational system offers different courses such as Engineering, Medicine, Arts, etc.
- Students from Anglophone countries will find the country beneficiary because English is one of the official languages in the country.
- Free healthcare is available for Maltese citizens.
- The cost of living in Malta is affordable for students to study and live there.
Are there Eligibility for Students to Study in Malta?
There are certain documents for any student wanting to study in Malta, and here they are for different programs:
- Senior Secondary School leaving certificate
- Senior Secondary School transcripts
- Certificate for any diploma course
- Language test scores to show proof of English proficiency such as TOEFL, IELTS, SAT, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Transcript from Bachelor’s degree programs
- Proof of proficiency in English language test scores
Getting a Student Visa to Study in Malta
For you to get a Maltese visa, you need to consult a Maltese embassy or consulate, and here are the various processes:
- A completed Maltese visa application form
- A valid passport
- Passport Photographs
- Admission letter from the university
- Proof of travel insurance to cover the duration of course of study in Malta
- Proof of adequate finance like financial records
- Proof of travel itinerary
- Visa application fee
Cost of Living in Malta
When it involves studying in Malta, there are affordable expenses in different cases because for Malta and European Union citizens university education is free, while Non-European Union citizens are to pay their tuition fee. Let’s see the cost:
- Rent – €700
- Household utilities – €80
- Monthly transportation €26
- Cost per meal – €8 to €10
- Internet – €34
Affordable Universities to Study in Malta
Most of the Universities in the country are found in the capital (Valletta), located on the North East Coast of Malta Island. The largest university is the University of Malta sponsored by the Maltese government, and the main campus of the institution is found in Msida and other smaller campuses in Gozo and Valletta. Here they are:
University of Malta:
It is a well-recognized institution in the country located in Msida city in central Malta. In the 20th century, the school was established with undergraduate and postgraduate programs in 14 academic faculties. Presently, it has a population of over 11,000 students and 1000 international students. The major language for teaching is English, and Maltese is another language in the country.
American University of Malta:
It is located in Cospicua city and is a private Liberal Arts school founded in 2016. It will surprise you it is one of the latest private universities in Malta that runs on the American style of education with an affiliation with other private colleges in the U.S. The university offers undergraduate programs in courses like MBA for postgraduate students. There are different tuition fees for European Union, domestic, and international students.
Malta College of Arts, Science & Technology:
It was established in 2001 and is a private university located in Paola town. Although it has not been long it came into existence, the university has become one of the largest institutions for students to study in Malta. Presently, they have over 180 courses for full-time students and 300 vocational training courses. The university has an affiliation with 6 faculties in the school like the Institute of Business and Management, the Institute of Applied Sciences, and the Institute of Creative Arts, etc. Students from the school have access to practical apprenticeships and opportunities to enhance their training.
Barts & The London School of Medicine & Dentistry, Victoria:
It is among the elite medical schools founded in the United Kingdom. In 2016, the school brought out the idea of setting a satellite campus in Gozo city, Malta. The following year, the institution admitted its first students, and they are still expanding their campuses. The degree has some affiliations with the main campus in the UK, and also offers unique settings for students in the Mediterranean. Any medical graduate from the school obtains a GMC accredited degree too.
Middlesex University, Malta:
In 2013, Middlesex University was established and is one of the recent satellite campuses of Middlesex University. Presently, the school has over 500 students offering different courses both at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. These courses are technology, business, science, and many others. In 2019, it was approximately 10 courses offered by the school to students.
Other Interesting Contents
- Low GPA Colleges: 100+ List of Colleges that Accept Low GPA
- Study and Work in Australia: Everything You Need to Know
- Top 7 Colleges Accepting Low GPA on Master’s Program
Many students have dreams to study in Malta and this is the reason they are in search of various opportunities that will fund their education. It is one thing to have good academic performance and another thing to know the right criteria for each other courses either for undergraduates or postgraduates. Malta has numerous places for tourism for people passionate about visiting new places and like an adventure. If you are that kind of person, you can consider Malta as your destination site for your academics.