Whether you are someone who is looking to study abroad or just want a change of scenery, there are many boarding schools in Limpopo. Boarding schools in South Africa offer a host of exciting opportunities for students who want to learn and experience new things.
History of Boarding Schools in Limpopo
Boarding schools were first established in South Africa in the late 1800s as a way to provide an education for the sons of wealthy white settlers. The first school, known as Grey College, was founded in 1892 by Sir George Grey and opened its doors to students aged 10 to 18 years old.
By the early 1900s, boarding schools had become popular among the white settler community and began catering specifically to their needs. These schools offered a rigorous education in preparation for college or a career, but also provided a stable environment that helped students learn discipline and how to socialize.
During apartheid, boarding schools were segregated along racial lines and black pupils were not allowed to attend them. This policy changed after apartheid ended in 1994 and many of these schools began accepting black pupils. Today, several boarding schools throughout Limpopo province offer an excellent educational experience for both black and white students.
Read also: List of Top & Affordable High Schools in Krugersdorp
Benefits of Studying in Boarding Schools in Limpopo
- Improved Academic Performance:
Boarding school students typically perform better academically than their peers who attend regular secondary schools. This is likely due to the stricter discipline codes and rigorous curriculum at these schools.
- Better Opportunities for Career Growth:
Boarding school graduates often have better job prospects than their counterparts who attend regular secondary schools. This is because boarding school graduates are well-versed in both academics and professional skills, which makes them perfect candidates for many careers.
- Stronger Social Networks:
Boarding school students tend to form stronger social networks than their peers who attend regular secondary schools. This is because boarding school students are required to participate in extracurricular activities, which helps them develop relationships with other members of the community.
- Increased Opportunities for Personal Growth and Development:
Boarding schools encourage independent learning and exploration, which can lead to increased self-awareness and confidence.
- Improved Mental Health:
Boarding school students often have more opportunities for individual attention and stimulation than students who attend public schools. This can lead to improved mental health conditions, such as anxiety or depression.
Read also: List of Top & Affordable High Schools in Midrand
Eligible Criteria for Admission into Boarding Schools in Limpopo
- You must be South African citizens or holders of valid permits that allow them to reside and study in South Africa.
- You must have completed Grade 12 or its equivalent.
- You must have good academic records, demonstrated leadership and teamwork skills, and a strong interest in learning.
- You must meet the religious requirements of the school you are applying to.
Tips for Applying for Admission into Boarding Schools in Limpopo
- Do your research: Boarding schools in Limpopo vary greatly in terms of their tuition fees and facilities. Make sure you are applying to a school that will fit your budget and meets your needs.
- Contact the school: Ask the school how you can apply, what documents they need from you, and when you can expect an admission decision.
- Get letters of recommendation: Boarding schools in Limpopo often require letters of recommendation from teachers or other professionals who know you well. Ask your parents or friends to write on your behalf if they can do so.
- Have a strong application: Although the admissions process is fair, applicants with stronger applications tend to fare better than those who do not submit all required materials early on in the application process.
Read also: List of Top Boarding Schools in South Africa & Fees
Boarding Schools in Limpopo
St John’s School:
This is a private school that was founded in 1883. It is located in Pretoria and has a total enrollment of around 400 students. The school offers a diverse range of academic programs, including but not limited to primary, secondary, and tertiary levels.
It is a boarding school that was founded in 1904 and has an enrollment of around 430 students. The school provides a challenging academic environment that will prepare its students for success in their future endeavors. Waterkloof House offers programs at the primary, secondary, and tertiary levels.
The public school was founded in 1877. It has an enrollment of around 1,500 students and offers programs at the primary, secondary and tertiary levels. Grey College is known for its strong academic standards and its focus on preparing its students for success in their future endeavors.
Oakdene College of Education:
Oakdene College of Education is a renowned boarding school located in Polokwane, Limpopo. The school offers a wide range of both traditional and specialized education programs for students aged from pre-primary to tertiary levels.
St Andrew’s College:
St Andrew’s College is a Jesuit secondary school located in Pietermaritzburg, Limpopo. The school offers a wide range of both traditional and specialized education programs for students aged from pre-primary to tertiary levels.
The King’s School (Kempton Park):
It is located in Kempton Park, this is an internationally renowned boarding school with an excellent reputation. It has a rich history dating back to 1872 and offers a range of programs for students aged 3-18 years old.
St Kevin’s College (Durban):
This Catholic boarding school was founded in 1875 and offers programs for students aged 3-18 years old. It has a strong academic tradition and boasts excellent facilities including a swimming pool, tennis courts, and rugby fields.
Other Interesting Contents
- List of Top Boarding Schools in Cape Town & Fees
- Highlighted List of Top High Schools in Durban
- List of Top Boarding Schools in Gauteng & Fees
We hope that this information will help you make an informed decision about whether or not boarding school is right for your child. Boarding schools offer many benefits, such as providing a high-quality educational experience, separating children from their families during crucial developmental stages, and preparing them for life after high school.