The University of Edinburgh is located in the center of the Scottish city ‘Auld Reekie’. It is one of the most reputable universities in the United Kingdom. The university has groomed great leaders across the world. The University of Edinburgh was founded in 1582 and it is known for its research-oriented programs. If you want a learning environment that is conducive to learning, you can bank on this school.
Presently, the school ranks 20th in the World University Ranking System, and it has over 13,000 international students offering different full-time courses. The University of Edinburgh’s acceptance rate is highly competitive compared to other UK universities. As a result, you need to have a high score to get admission into the school. Without any further ado, we will get to know whether it is hard getting into this university.
Is it Difficult to Get Admission into the University of Edinburgh?
When you compare the acceptance rate in different universities in the United States, you will get to know it is not difficult to secure admission into the school as an international student. Though the acceptance rate is not high, you need to put in extra effort to have admission to the school. Many candidates applying for admission into the school are exceptional searching for admission like you.
However, if you are applying to study at this university you need to be prepared mentally and physically to compete with intelligent students. One thing you should note is if your description fit the admission committee, then they will offer you to study in their school. If you have a good profile, the school will accept you.
Admission Process of University of Edinburgh
International students need to have a study visa that will guarantee admission to study in the UK. If you will be going for a full-time degree course, you will get a Tier 4 visa, and these documents are necessary for the University of Edinburgh acceptance rate:
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
- One passport-size photo that meets UK requirements.
- Copy of valid passport
- Proof of financial support
- Evidence of qualifications
- Evidence of English Language proficiency.
University of Edinburgh Acceptance Rate
The University of Edinburgh acceptance rate is between 40% to 50% making the university easy for international students to get admission. For postgraduate students, their acceptance rate into the university is 48%.
For every two students registering or applying for a course, one of the students has a high chance of gaining admission. It implies out of 100 students, it will be only 48 students that will get admission. The University of Edinburgh acceptance rate for undergraduate students is 46%.
University of Edinburgh Acceptance Rate for Postgraduate
As a result of the high-level competition amongst students, the acceptance rate for the postgraduate level is lower compared to students offering undergraduate programs. The school has different degree programs recognized globally – 300 taught programs and 180 research-oriented programs.
You need to choose a school that matches your objectives to help your academic journey as a student. After you are done with your school selection, the next thing is to complete your application by filling in your important information and attaching your documents. You can complete your admission process on through the university website.
Postgraduate Courses and University of Edinburgh Acceptance Rate
- MSc Applied Linguistics – 4.4%
- MSc Social Psychology – 6.8%
- MSc Business Analytics – 8.9%
- MSc Accounting and Finance 7%
- MSc Developmental Linguistics – 6.9%
- MA Fashion – 6.1%
- PGDE Secondary Education (Physical Education) – 8.7%
- MSc Finance and Investment – 8.3%
What are the Admission Requirements for Postgraduate?
Certain requirements are necessary for applicants to possess if they want to be eligible to study for their postgraduate courses. These same admission requirements are similar to the ones at the undergraduate level:
- Bachelor’s degree with an average score of 60% in your field of study
- English proficiency test to show you have fluency in the English language
- Work experience in relevant field
- Statement of purpose
- Recommendation letters
- Admission essay
University of Edinburgh Acceptance Rate for Undergraduates
The school has high recognition worldwide which makes them receive high numbers of applications. If you can understand the acceptance rate for the undergraduate level, it will increase your chances of being selected among successful candidates.
Undergraduate Courses and University of Edinburgh Acceptance Rate:
- BMUH Music Technology – 17%
- BA Fashion – 15%
- BA Animation – 12%
- BA Illustration – 16%
- BA Product Design – 16%
- BSc Oral Health Sciences – 12%
- BA Interior Design – 14%
- BA Film and Television – 7.7%
- BA Graphic Design – 10%
- BA Textiles – 17%
What are the Admission Requirements for Undergraduates?
It is good to know the eligibility criteria for undergraduates because it will aid your admission process. On the other hand, the criteria help the school to evaluate students’ interpersonal skills, and these are the requirements:
- Undergraduate applicants in faculties like Arts, Social Sciences, and Humanities must possess a minimum score of 80% with 75% in three different subjects in class 10+2.
- Undergraduate applicants in Science and Engineering must possess an 80% overall score with 75% in the English language in class 10+2.
- Undergraduate applicants in Medicine and Veterinary Medicine must possess 80% overall with 85% in courses like Biology and Chemistry and 75% in English in class 10+2.
Requirements for English Language Proficiency
Besides the University of Edinburgh acceptance rate, the proficiency of international students and their scores are as follows:
- IELTS: 7.0 with no subscore less than 6.0
- TOEFL iBT: 100 with no subscore less than 20
- C1: 185 with no subscore less than 169
Other Interesting Contents
- 5-Point Checklist: Best IELTS Book for Self Study
- Everything You Need to Know About IELTS Score for the USA
- Top 5 Universities Offering MS in Finance in the USA
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is it hard to get admission into the Edinburgh university?
- As a result of the low acceptance rate, a large number of candidates are applying for admission. If you could meet the requirements, it will ease your admission process and easier.
- What is common about Edinburgh university?
- The university is popular for courses like Humanities, Social Sciences, Engineering, etc.
- Is Edinburgh university prestigious?
- It is one of the most prestigious universities with a high ranking in its courses.